IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Baby Gate extensions and banister adaptors are brand specific and you cannot for example use a Dreambaby Extension with a Safety 1st Gate.
SEE STANDARD SIZES OF PRESSURE-MOUNTED BABY GATES (AVAILABLE ON MY ONLINE SHOP) BELOW:
When taking measurements, remember to take the skirting into account. Always measure on the floor, skirting to skirting/wall/pole & then wall to wall/pole.
The maximum adjustable size of the gate includes the tension knobs on the sides, used to mount the gate.
You measure and your measurement falls within the adjustable size of the standard sized gates available (No extensions required)
- Take the measurement of the area where you would like to fit the gate, remembering to take the skirting (if any) into account. Measure on the floor from skirting to skirting. If your skirting’s are wider than normal (over 2cm on either side) then it would be advisable to contact us rather.
- Choose one of the above gates that is closest to your measurement, it must be wider than the minimum width of 73cm (the minimum size of most pressure mounted gates)
- If it’s between 73-80cm you would choose the Safety 1st U-Pressure Fit Auto-close Doorway Gate
- If it’s between 75-84cm you would choose the Dreambaby Standard Doorway Baby Safety Gate
- If its between 99-105.5cm you would go for the Dreambaby Liberty Xtra-Wide Hallway Gate 99-105.5cm.
As long as your measurement falls within the adjustable sizes i.e. 73-80cm | 75-84cm OR 99-105.5cm you won’t need to order additional extensions.
Q: What if your area does not fall within the Adjustable size, for example If your area is between 86-98cm or is wider than 105.5cm?
A: Gate extensions are available and are brand specific.
Below are a couple of Scenarios.
Area to cover 86 cm. (Just to big for a standard gate)
First step is to choose a gate that is closest to your measurement. In this case I am going to go for the Dreambaby Standard Doorway Baby Safety Gate
Visit the product page for this gate and see what sized extensions are available for this specific brand, Dreambaby. Take the smallest extension and subtract it from your measurement of 86cm. i.e. 86cm – 9cm = 77cm. If your total: 77cm, is within the adjustable size of the gate i.e. between 75-84cm, then this is the extension for you.
Area to cover 121cm (Pole to Skirting) and 123cm (Pole to Wall)
Let’s try a more challenging example where there is a skirting and banister involved as well as a corner wall:
The widest standard pressure mounted gate across all brands in SA extends to 108cm, the Dreambaby Liberty Xtra-Wide Hallway Gate 99-105.5cm. Follow this link to the product page and you will see a number of extensions available for the gate: 9cm | 18cm | 27cm | 36cm | 45cm | 54cm | 63cm | 1 meter
To select which extension will work best, take your 2 measurements (121 and 123cm) and subtract the most obvious sized extension, the 18cm extension.
Calculation (Pole to skirting): 121 – 18cm (Extension width) = 103cm
Pole to Wall: 123 – 18cm (Extension width) =105cm
(Both 103 and 105 fall within the adjustable size of the gate)
But now you have a banister pole and a corner wall too. Don’t worry, Dreambaby has you covered! You will need 2 sets of Dreambaby Banister Gate Adaptors – refer to photo above, these adaptors are circled in yellow.
CONCLUSION: For a 121 – 123 cm area (That has a Banister Pole and Corner Wall) you will need:
Area = 220cm (Skirting to Skirting) and 224cm (Wall to Wall)
Q: What if there isn’t a suitable extension size for your area?
A: You can always use TWO extensions, one on either side
- 220cm (Skirting to skirting) – 100cm (Extension) – 18cm (Extension) = 102cm
- 224cm (Wall to Wall) – 100cm (Extension) – 18cm (Extension) = 106cm
(Both 102 and 106 fall within the adjustable size of the gate)