IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Baby Gate extensions and banister adaptors are brand specific and you cannot use for example, a Dreambaby Extension with a Safety 1st Gate.
SEE STANDARD SIZES OF PRESSURE-MOUNTED BABY GATES AVAILABLE ON MY ONLINE SHOP BELOW:
Dreambaby Gates (Height: 76cm) have a 6cm leeway (with reference to the tension knobs) and can extend up to 3.05cm with optional extensions
Safety 1st Gates (Height: 76cm) have a 7cm leeway (with reference to the tension knobs) and can extend up to 1.36cm with optional extensions
When taking measurements, remember to take the skirting into account. Always measure on the floor, skirting to skirting/wall/pole & then wall to wall/pole.
The maximum adjustable size of the gate includes the tension knobs on the sides, used to secure the gate.
You measure and your measurement falls within the adjustable size of the standard sized gates available
(No extensions required)
- Take the measurement of the area where you would like to fit the gate, remembering to take the skirting (if any) into account. Measure on the floor from skirting to skirting. If your skirtings are wider than normal (over 2cm) then it would be advisable to contact us rather.
- Choose one of the above gates that is closest to your measurement, it must be wider than the minimum width of 73cm (the minimum size of most pressure mounted gates)
- If it’s between 73-80cm you would choose the Safety 1st U-Pressure Fit Auto-close Doorway Gate
- If it’s between 75-81cm you would choose the Dreambaby Liberty Doorway Gate 75cm to 81cm
- If its between 99-105.5cm you would go for the Dreambaby Liberty Xtra-Wide Hallway Gate 99-105.5cm. As long as your measurement falls within the adjustable size i.e. 73-80cm OR 99-105.5cm respectively.
Area to cover 82 cm. (Just to big for a standard gate)
Q: What if your area does not fall within the Adjustable size, for example If your area is between 82-99cm or is wider than 105.5cm?
A: Gate extensions are available and are brand specific. Below are a couple of Scenarios.
First choose a gate that fits closest to your measurement, In this case (82cm) I am going to go for the Safety 1st U-Pressure Fit Autoclose Doorway Gate 73-80cm
Go to the product page for this gate and see what size extensions are available for this specific brand i.e. ‘Safety 1st’. You will see 3 extensions are available for Safety 1st Gates: 7, 14 and 28cm. Take the smallest extension and subtract it from your measurement of 82cm. i.e. 82cm – 7cm = 75cm. If your total: 75cm, is within the adjustable size of 73-80cm, then this is the extension for you.
Conclusion: For an 82 cm area you will need:
AREA to cover: 92cm
Let’s use another example and stick to using the Safety 1st U-Pressure Fit Autoclose Doorway Gate 73-80cm:
Take the smallest extension and subtract it from your measurement of 92cm. i.e. 92cm – 7cm = 85cm. OH DEAR, your total does not fall within the adjustable size! Not to worry, let’s try the next, wider-sized extension of 14cm. 92cm -14cm = 78cm. GREAT, this falls within the adjustable size of 73-80cm and is the extension you will need.
Conclusion: For an 92cm area you will need:
Area to cover 121cm (Pole to Skirting) and 123cm (Pole to Wall)
Let’s try a more challenging example where there is a skirting and banister involved as well as a corner wall:
The widest standard pressure mounted gate across all Brands in SA is 105.5cm and that is the Dreambaby Liberty Xtra-Wide Hallway Gate 99-105.5cm. Click on this link to go to this product’s product page and you will see which extensions are available for this brand: 9cm | 18cm | 27cm | 36cm | 45cm | 54cm | 63cm | 1 meter.
For an area of 121cm – 123cm you will need an 18cm extension. To confirm, subtract the extension you think you need from both widths i.e 121 – 18 = 103cm and 123 – 18 = 105cm (Both 103 and 105 fall within the adjustable size of the gate)
But now you have a banister pole and corner of a wall too. Dreambaby has you covered! You will need 2 Sets of Dreambaby Banister Gate Adaptors (There are 2 per pack) and you will need one for each side (Circled in yellow in the photo above)
CONCLUSION: For a 121 – 123 cm area (That has a Banister Pole and Corner Wall) you will need:
Area = 220cm (Skirting to Skirting) and 223cm (Wall to Wall)
Q: What if there isn’t a suitable extension size for your area?
A: You can always use TWO extensions, one on either side
For an area of 220 – 223cm you will need a 114 – 117 extension. But there is no extension available on the product page that size?
The good news is you can add an extension on either side.
So, you look at what you need and start doing some calculations, keeping in mind the adjustable size of the Gate: 99cm – 105,5cm
- 220cm (Skirting to skirting) – 100cm (Extension) – 18cm (Extension) = 102cm
- 223cm (Wall to Wall) – 100cm (Extension) – 18cm (Extension) = 105cm (Both 102 and 105 fall within the adjustable size of the gate)
CONCLUSION: For an 220-223 cm area you will need:
Area = 125cm
Just because your area is wide does not necessarily mean you will use the Dreambaby Liberty Xtra-Wide Hallway Gate 99-105.5cm
Q: What if the wider gate with extension doesn’t work for the area measured, its either too big or too small?
A: Look at using a smaller sized gate + wider extension:
i.e Dreambaby Liberty Doorway Gate 75cm to 81cm + 45cm Extension
In this particular case a Hallway Gate 99-105cm won’t work,
125 (Measurement) -18cm (Extension) = 107 (Too small)
125 (Measurement) – 27cm (Extension) = 98cm (Too big)
The next option would be to look into using a smaller sized gate + wider extension i.e Dreambaby Liberty Doorway Gate 75cm to 81cm + 45cm Extension.
- 125cm (measurement) – 81cm (Gate Max width) = 44cm
- The closest extension in this range is 45cm
- Now try it, using a reverse calculation to see if the TOTAL falls within the adjustable size of the gate of 75-81cm
- 125cm (measurement) – 45cm (Extension) = 80cm. IT WORKS!!!